Recipe by Chef Jean Louise
A cold-weather hit from our CSA newsletter.
Top Review by Chef MB
Everyone in the house loved this--the vegetarian and the meat eater! Used a vegetarian sausage instead of real sausage, used veggie broth, and had to replace rice with barley (oops!), but it turned out great. Next time, would add a larger/tarter apple, and possible stir more cheese into the casserole itself instead of just on the top. But even my pickiest eater, not a veggie fan, loved this. Thanks for sharing! Oh, and I loved roasting the squash this way--much easier to peel and clean!
- 1 butternut squash
- 709.77 ml chicken broth
- 236.59 ml water
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh sage or 4.92 ml dried rubbed sage
- 9.85 ml olive oil, divided
- 453.59 g mild sausage, crumbled or sliced (I prefer Aidell's brand chicken and apple sausage)
- 236.59 ml diced onion
- 1 small sweet apple, diced (gala, pink lady, or golden delicious, for example)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 236.59 ml uncooked arborio rice or 236.59 ml other short-grain rice
- 59.14 ml dry white wine
- 4.92 ml chopped fresh thyme
- cooking spray
- 118.29 ml grated fresh parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place squash on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until tender. After allowing squash to cool, cut it in half lengthwise, seed, quarter and peel it. Then cut it into 1/2-inch cubes and set aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, bring broth, water, and sage to a simmer without allowing it to come to a boil.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat and brown the sausage; set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute onion in remaining olive oil over medium-high heat until tender.
- Add the apple and garlic, and saute for two minutes.
- Add the rice, and saute for an additional minute.
- Stir in the sausage, squash, broth mixture, wine, chopped thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the casserole mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove casserole from oven, stir mixture gently, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Return to oven and bake for an additional five minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Allow to cool for ten minutes before serving.