1/1 Photo of Butternut Squash, Rice and Sausage Casserole
1 hr 10 mins
Chef Jean Louise's Note:
A cold-weather hit from our CSA newsletter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 butternut squash
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 lb mild sausage, crumbled or sliced (I prefer Aidell's brand chicken and apple sausage)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 small sweet apple, diced (gala, pink lady, or golden delicious, for example)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice or 1 cup other short-grain rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Place squash on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until tender. After allowing squash to cool, cut it in half lengthwise, seed, quarter and peel it. Then cut it into 1/2-inch cubes and set aside.
- 3Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- 4In a medium saucepan over low heat, bring broth, water, and sage to a simmer without allowing it to come to a boil.
- 5In a large nonstick skillet or wok, heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat and brown the sausage; set aside.
- 6In the same skillet, saute onion in remaining olive oil over medium-high heat until tender.
- 7Add the apple and garlic, and saute for two minutes.
- 8Add the rice, and saute for an additional minute.
- 9Stir in the sausage, squash, broth mixture, wine, chopped thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 10Place the casserole mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 11Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 12Remove casserole from oven, stir mixture gently, and sprinkle with cheese.
- 13Return to oven and bake for an additional five minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- 14Allow to cool for ten minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash, Rice and Sausage Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (456 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 368.9
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 8.8 mg
- Sodium 614.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 12.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: