A cold-weather hit from our CSA newsletter.
Make and share this Butternut Squash, Rice and Sausage Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 butternut squash
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 lb mild sausage, crumbled or sliced (I prefer Aidell's brand chicken and apple sausage)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 small sweet apple, diced (gala, pink lady, or golden delicious, for example)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice or 1 cup other short-grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place squash on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until tender. After allowing squash to cool, cut it in half lengthwise, seed, quarter and peel it. Then cut it into 1/2-inch cubes and set aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, bring broth, water, and sage to a simmer without allowing it to come to a boil.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat and brown the sausage; set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute onion in remaining olive oil over medium-high heat until tender.
- Add the apple and garlic, and saute for two minutes.
- Add the rice, and saute for an additional minute.
- Stir in the sausage, squash, broth mixture, wine, chopped thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the casserole mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove casserole from oven, stir mixture gently, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Return to oven and bake for an additional five minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Allow to cool for ten minutes before serving.