Recipe by GoldsmithLissa
Great curry soup...moderate enough for even the less experimental eaters... Add some shrimp, crab, or lobster and make a hearty meal out of it!
Top Review by anozira86
A very yummy soup. I was searching for something to make with lentils and butternut squash, and this fit the bill nicely. I used an entire can of lite coconut milk. Would definitely make again. I think this would be lovely if blended with an immersion blender ... but I don't have one. I didn't have any peppers either, so I served the soup with sriracha. YUM
- 1 small butternut squash, about 1 . 5-2lb
- olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small leek, small dice
- 1 small fresh hot pepper, minced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 liter chicken stock or 1 liter vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup red lentil
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and stringy center. Oil each half gently with olive oil or cooking spray, put face down on a cookie sheet and bake until tender (about 25-40 minutes).
- Meanwhile heat a soup pot over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil, the onion, celery, carrot, leek, pepper, garlic, curry powder, ginger and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Stir regularly and sweat for about 10 minutes or until veggies soften a bit. Add stock and bring to a simmer. Add lentils and stir regularly at a simmer for 15 minutes.
- When squash is tender scoop out and gently mash and stir into the soup. Stir the coconut milk into the soup until well incorporated. Taste and correct for seasoning then served.