Recipe by What's Cooking?
Butternut squash is good for more than soup! I just had a bowl of this creamy deliciousness for my breakfast. Would taste wonderful served as a side with chicken and vegetables, or something spicy. Makes a terrific filling for ravioli, as well. But it's definitely good in a bowl all by itself.
Top Review by Desdivine
Fabulous easy but delicious recipe! I left out the butter and milk, and used maybe 1/4 cup water instead. Making it a great vegan dish. And I used honey instead of sugar. It almost tastes like a dessert.
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons brown sugar or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turbinado sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cut stem off of squash. Cut squash lengthwise and remove seeds and pulp. Put squash halves face down in a baking dish. Add 1/4 inch of water.
- Bake the squash for 20 minutes with cut side down down, then 20 minutes with cut side up (when you flip them over you can add a little honey and/or cinnamon if you so desire). Bake until a knife can easily enter the flesh but remove from oven before the squash becomes entirely mushy.
- Allow squash to cool enough to handle. Remove peel with paring knife, and cut peeled squash into pieces of approximately 1-2 inches.
- Put pieces in food processor, along with the rest of the ingredients. Puree until smooth.