Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
The official recipe for the butternut squash purée served on January 20, 2013 as part of the bison second course at the luncheon following the second Obama Inauguration
- 2 lbs butternut squash, roasted
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, medium amber
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut squash lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Place each half squash with the cut half facing down on a sheet pan in the oven and cook until tender, approximately 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Scoop flesh into a blender, using a big spoon.
- Place the butter,maple syrup, kosher salt and white pepper into blender. Purée on a high speed until smooth, adjusting the seasoning to taste.
- Place purée in a small sauce pot and cover to keep warm.