Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
An appetizer from the excellent Veganomicon (p 50) -- I'm looking forward to trying it soon
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut in a small cube
- 2 -3 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 (8 inch) round rice paper sheets
- 4 ounces rice vermicelli
- 1 cup fresh cilantro or 1 cup Thai basil, bite-sized
- 1⁄3 cup pumpkin seeds, salted and roasted, chopped coarsely
- Preheat over to 400°F Drizzle squash with oil and toss to coat. Roast in a single layer for about 1/2 hour until soft and slightly caramelized, turning halfway through. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Cook vermicelli according to package instructions. Drain and run under cool water to stop cooking. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Soften rice wrappers according to package instructions. Handle gently -- they are fragile!
- Place about 1/4 c noodles in the lover third of the wrapper, leaving about 1.5 inches of space from the bottom and sides. Place a layer of butternut squash above the noodles. Sprinkle with cilantro and pumpkin seeds.
- Fold in sides of wrapper and then roll, firmly but gently, from the bottom. Place on serving plate seam-side down. Cut in half when ready to serve.