Recipe by SJG3483
When they are combined, the pasta picks up the flavor of the squash beautifully. Make sure you cook it long enough for the flavors to meld.
Top Review by DeeCooks
This is a very good quick dinner for us now! The second time I made it I doubled the garlic, added half an onion more(and carmelized them, per LeAnnC's suggestion,) and added a big pinch of nutmeg. (It complements the squash.)I also toss in leftover roast chicken if I have some. Very good, very easy.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups diced peeled butternut squash (1/2-inch dice)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a deep skillet, melt butter with oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook for about 6 minutes, or until tender and starting to brown.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add squash and stir.
- Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and simmer over medium heat until liquid is absorbed and squash is barely tender.
- While it is simmering, bring the remaining broth to a boil.
- Add orzo and cook for about 8 minutes, until cooked al dente.
- Drain any excess liquid.
- Combine squash mixture with orzo and heat together for a few minutes, until the squash is tender.
- Pour into a bowl and toss with basil and cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.