Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
When they are combined, the pasta picks up the flavor of the squash beautifully. Make sure you cook it long enough for the flavors to meld.
- In a deep skillet, melt butter with oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook for about 6 minutes, or until tender and starting to brown.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add squash and stir.
- Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and simmer over medium heat until liquid is absorbed and squash is barely tender.
- While it is simmering, bring the remaining broth to a boil.
- Add orzo and cook for about 8 minutes, until cooked al dente.
- Drain any excess liquid.
- Combine squash mixture with orzo and heat together for a few minutes, until the squash is tender.
- Pour into a bowl and toss with basil and cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
This is a very good quick dinner for us now! The second time I made it I doubled the garlic, added half an onion more(and carmelized them, per LeAnnC's suggestion,) and added a big pinch of nutmeg. (It complements the squash.)I also toss in leftover roast chicken if I have some. Very good, very easy.
This was delicious! I used 3 onions and cooked them until carmelized (about 35 minutes). Then followed the recipe exactly. The carmelized onions added an extra bit of sweetness that enhanced the flavor of this dish.
This is fantasic comfort food - yummy, quick and easy. I used a cheddar cheese as I was out of Parmesan. Perfect for weekday meals when you are busy. Also a toddler friendly recipe :-)