When they are combined, the pasta picks up the flavor of the squash beautifully. Make sure you cook it long enough for the flavors to meld.
- In a deep skillet, melt butter with oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook for about 6 minutes, or until tender and starting to brown.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add squash and stir.
- Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and simmer over medium heat until liquid is absorbed and squash is barely tender.
- While it is simmering, bring the remaining broth to a boil.
- Add orzo and cook for about 8 minutes, until cooked al dente.
- Drain any excess liquid.
- Combine squash mixture with orzo and heat together for a few minutes, until the squash is tender.
- Pour into a bowl and toss with basil and cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.