Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Thankfully the heavy sauce makes this great for whole-wheat pasta as well...even try it with a cheesy or sausage tortellini! Enjoy experimenting with different cheeses or mixtures thereof. I've even added some heat with cayenne or using a jalapeno cheese (if not fresh jalapenos, but i love the heat!) Also try adding some sausage (I've done both sweet and spicy italian sausage and a mixture thereof) or prosciutto. Nota Bene: pre/cook time varies depending on your multi-tasking abilities....I estimated on the upper range of time required.
- 1 butternut squash
- 6 cups whole wheat pasta
- 1⁄2 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup cheese (goat, cheddar, swiss, or mix)
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- vanilla yogurt
- 1. Put a pot of salted water on the boil for pasta. Take a butternut squash and stab it a few times, making sure you get in deep enough to penetrate the seed cavity. Put in the microwave on high for 7 minutes, turn and cook for another 7 or until soft.
- 2. Cook pasta.
- 3. Remove butternut squash, cut it in half, and scoop out seeds.
- 4. Scoop out the flesh - it should be nice and soft.
- 5. Combine the squash flesh with about 1 1/2C skim milk and lots of salt and pepper. Whisk the mixture together and bring to a simmer adding a pinch of cayenne. Stir in your cheese until nice and melty.
- 6. Remove from heat and stir in the tomatoes and chives. Combine with noodles and yogurt.
- 7. Put in a casserole and bake at at 425 for ten minutes.
- 8. Broil for five minutes.
I used goat cheese and a little cheddar. Next time I'll use all goat cheese. I'll probably roast the butternut squash as well because that seems to keep in more moist. It was excellent though and I will make often. Thanks for the recipe.