1/2 Photos of Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese
Queen of Harts's Note:
This recipe is from Rachael Ray's 365 No Repeats cookbook. I adapted it a teeny-tiny bit. I also like to cook up a hot dog, cut it up and put it in my bowl of mac and cheese!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- coarse salt
- 1 lb macaroni
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 medium onion (you will grate it right into the pot)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen butternut squash, defrosted
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated (not the kind in a can)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Heat a pot of water to boil for the pasta. Salt the water,then add the pasta and cook al dente, about 8 minutes.
- 2While the pasta cooks, heat a medium heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil and butter. When the butter melts into the oil, add the thyme and grate the onion directly into the pot with a Microplane or grater. Cook the onions for a minute or two.
- 3Add the flour and cook with the onions a minute or two more.
- 4Whisk in the stock, then add the squash and cook until warmed through and smooth.
- 5Stir in the cream and bring to a bubble.
- 6Stir in the cheeses in a figure eight motion and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Taste to adjust seasonings.
- 7Drain the cooked pasta well and combine with the sauce. Serve.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 718.9
- Calories from Fat 336
- Total Fat 37.3 g
- Saturated Fat 21.6 g
- Cholesterol 111.4 mg
- Sodium 631.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 26.3 g