Recipe by coconutty
I haven't tried this and am posting here for safekeeping. Julia suggests this as a side dish for pork. You can also substitute white turnips or rutabaga, which also go well with pork.
- 5 cups diced butternut squash (in thumbnail sized dice)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter (optional)
- 4 -6 tablespoons juices from cooked meat (optional)
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh garlic
- salt and pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced parsley or 2 -3 tablespoons chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut squash in half; remove seeds. Peel away all outer rind of squash several times until only the deeply yellow parts of the squash are left.
- Cut into thumbnail sized dice.
- Steam squash until just tender (about 10 minutes). Do not overcook.
- Drain cooking water into another sauce pan, boil down quickly with optional meat juices and optional extra butter, ginger and garlic.
- When well reduced and liquid is almost syrupy, pour it over the squash. Toss with liquid and correct seasoning.