I haven't tried this and am posting here for safekeeping. Julia suggests this as a side dish for pork. You can also substitute white turnips or rutabaga, which also go well with pork.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups diced butternut squash (in thumbnail sized dice)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter (optional)
- 4 -6 tablespoons juices from cooked meat (optional)
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh garlic
- salt and pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced parsley or 2 -3 tablespoons chives
- 1Cut squash in half; remove seeds. Peel away all outer rind of squash several times until only the deeply yellow parts of the squash are left.
- 2Cut into thumbnail sized dice.
- 3Steam squash until just tender (about 10 minutes). Do not overcook.
- 4Drain cooking water into another sauce pan, boil down quickly with optional meat juices and optional extra butter, ginger and garlic.
- 5When well reduced and liquid is almost syrupy, pour it over the squash. Toss with liquid and correct seasoning.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash in Ginger and Garlic (Adapt. Julia Child)
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 59.0
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 199.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 1.4 g