A tasty vegetarian curry...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small butternut squash, about 1 1/2 pounds,peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped shallots or 2 tablespoons yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon peeled and chopped fresh ginger
- 2 green jalapeno chiles
- 3 tablespoons water, plus
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 14 ounces unsweetened coconut milk (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaf
- 1In a small food processor or the jar of a blender, combine the shallots or onion, garlic, ginger, chilies, the 3 tablespoons water, and 1/2 cup of the cilantro.
- 2Grind until you have a fairly smooth paste, pulsing the motor and stopping often to stir down the sides of the container and incorporate all the ingredients.
- 3You will have about 1/4 cup bright green paste.
- 4Set aside.
- 5Shake the coconut milk can well.
- 6Spoon out 1/2 cup into a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat.
- 7Cook, stirring occasionally, until it thickens and releases its sweet fragrance, about 3 minutes.
- 8Add the curry paste and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, mashing, scraping, and stirring until the paste is dissolved into the coconut milk and is heated through.
- 9Add the remaining coconut milk, the remaining 1/2 cup water, the sugar, salt, and butternut squash.
- 10Raise the heat to high and bring the curry to a rolling boil.
- 11Stir well, reduce the heat to maintain a gentle boil, and continue cooking until the squash is tender and the sauce is smooth and evenly colored a soothing green, about 15 minutes.
- 12Meanwhile, cut all but a few of the basil leaves crosswise into thin strips.
- 13When the curry is cooked, stir in the basil strips and the remaining 1/4 cup cilantro.
- 14Remove from the heat and transfer to a serving bowl.
- 15Garnish with the reserved basil leaves and serve hot or warm.
- 16Serve over your favourite rice-- I like basmati.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash in Fresh Green Curry
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 319.4
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 19.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 607.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 4.8 g