Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A tasty vegetarian curry...
Make and share this Butternut Squash in Fresh Green Curry recipe from Food.com.
- 1 small butternut squash, about 1 1/2 pounds,peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped shallots or 2 tablespoons yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon peeled and chopped fresh ginger
- 2 green jalapeno chiles
- 3 tablespoons water, plus
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 14 ounces unsweetened coconut milk (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf
- In a small food processor or the jar of a blender, combine the shallots or onion, garlic, ginger, chilies, the 3 tablespoons water, and 1/2 cup of the cilantro.
- Grind until you have a fairly smooth paste, pulsing the motor and stopping often to stir down the sides of the container and incorporate all the ingredients.
- You will have about 1/4 cup bright green paste.
- Set aside.
- Shake the coconut milk can well.
- Spoon out 1/2 cup into a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until it thickens and releases its sweet fragrance, about 3 minutes.
- Add the curry paste and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, mashing, scraping, and stirring until the paste is dissolved into the coconut milk and is heated through.
- Add the remaining coconut milk, the remaining 1/2 cup water, the sugar, salt, and butternut squash.
- Raise the heat to high and bring the curry to a rolling boil.
- Stir well, reduce the heat to maintain a gentle boil, and continue cooking until the squash is tender and the sauce is smooth and evenly colored a soothing green, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut all but a few of the basil leaves crosswise into thin strips.
- When the curry is cooked, stir in the basil strips and the remaining 1/4 cup cilantro.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Garnish with the reserved basil leaves and serve hot or warm.
- Serve over your favourite rice-- I like basmati.