Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
I serve this every Thanksgiving and everybody comes back for seconds
- 3 (12 ounce) boxes frozen squash, thawed & drained (I use Birds Eye) or 3 lbs butternut squash, peeled,seeded & cut in cubes
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- If using fresh squash, steam for 15 minutes until tender.
- Puree cooked squash in food processor along with sugar.
- Drain through a fine mesh strainer, pressing down occasionally.
- Melt butter and stir in flour until smooth, stirring for one minute.
- Whisk in milk until smooth.
- Add bay leaf, salt pepper, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, stirring over low heat 10 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Whisk eggs into squash.
- Whisk in cooled white sauce.
- Transfer mixture to a 2 quart baking dish and spray dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Smooth top.
- (Can be made two days ahead at this point and refrigerate).
- Bake in lower third of oven for 35 minutes at 350 degrees or longer if refrigerated or until center is set.
- Prepare topping: heat butter over low heat.
- Stir in sugar and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in walnuts and sprinkle over baking dish for last 10 minutes of cooking.
It is more of a dessert than a squash side dish. It had a texture like pie filing, which my guests did not like. Everyone barely touched it. This would make a good squash pie.
This will be a new Thanksgiving tradition in our house! It tastes like pumpkin pie in a bowl! This was the first leftover to be eaten up! I love the texture and flavor. The only thing I did different was leave out half the sugar (we're diabetic). I don't think it affected the flavor at all; this was so delicious I ignored the sweet potatoes!
This dish is quite easy to prepare. Served it for the first time recently and the entire family loved it. Wonderful flovor.