1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Punky Julster's Note:
You have to prepare the squash for the gnocchi the day before, so plan accordingly. Cook time includes the time for roasting the squash. Recipe from Executive Chef Brandon Miller of Stokes Restaurant and Bar in Monterey, CA.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) butternut squash
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
For butter sauce
- 1for gnocchi:.
- 2Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350°F.
- 3Cut the squash in half lengthwise, through the stem end, and place on a greased cookie sheet.
- 4Roast until tender, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- 5When cool enough to handle, scoop out and discard the seeds.
- 6Remove squash flesh (pulp) and place in a sieve.
- 7Set the sieve over a bowl to catch liquid and allow squash to drain in a refrigerator overnight.
- 8The next day, puree the squash in a food processor.
- 9Transfer puree to a bowl and add the eggs and salt, stirring to combine.
- 10Add the flour and blend thoroughly.
- 11The dough should feel sticky and soft.
- 12Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- 13Using a teaspoon, form walnut-sized pieces of dough and push them off the spoon and into the water with your fingers.
- 14Alternately, use a pastry bag and a small knife.
- 15Cook the gnocchi in small batches, 10 to 15 pieces.
- 16Once the gnocchi have risen to the surface, poach for exactly 2 minutes.
- 17Remove gnocchi with a slotted spoon and set aside to drain.
- 18Repeat until all the dough is used up.
- 19for butter sauce:.
- 20Place butter in a large skillet and cook over medium heat until the foam subsides and the butter begins to lightly brown.
- 21Add the sage leaves and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- 22Add the gnocchi to the browned butter, tossing to coat.
- 23Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash Gnocchi With Sage Butter
Serving Size: 1 (287 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 547.6
- Calories from Fat 270
- Total Fat 30.0 g
- Saturated Fat 17.9 g
- Cholesterol 166.4 mg
- Sodium 990.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 15.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves