Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
5oz.fries= 65 calories, 0g fat, 6mg sodium, 16.5 carbs, 4g fiber, 3g sugar, 1.5g protein
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel and de-seed your butternut squash. Slice squash in half.
- Cut it up into french fry shapes.
- Place on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. Cover lightly with kosher salt.
- Place tray in your pre-heated oven and bake for 40 minutes or so, flipping halfway through baking process.
- Fries are done when they are starting to brown on the edges and get crispy.
- Serve with ketchup or syrup if desired.
5 Stars for flavor, I love butternut squash. 1 Star for recipe time. The first batch at less than the 40 minutes specified were BLACK sticks. 2nd batch worked. The small ones at 10 minutes and the larger ones at about 18 minutes. Would also be good with a kick like paprika or some other spice.
This is crazy good! No leftovers good. I was worried at first because I didn't have any ketchup, but didn't miss it.
I DID cook on a raised rack over a baking sheet, so they didn't stick to the pan.. Covered the pan with foil to make cleanup easy.
Next time I make this, I will pile them on a plate and try melting Parmesan or asiago cheese on top.
To reduce the mess from spraying oil/ sprinkling salt, I tossed the squash in a bowl with seasoned salt and olive oil to evenly coat everything. (this also lets you control the amount of ingredients so not too salty/oily)
Really quite good, although be warned that the fries will shrink significantly by the time they are done cooking. I used a whole squash and I barely had enough for four tiny servings. They were so tasty, so we were sad that we didn't have any more. Thanks for sharing.