Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 2 lbs butternut squash, peeled, halved and seeded and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into large chunks
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 two inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper flakes
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- cilantro (optional)
- lime wedge (optional)
- Puree onion, garlic and 1 tbls vegetable broth in blender until smooth.
- Heat oil in 4 qt pot over med heat, add mustard seeds, fennel seeds and coriander, cook until fragrant (1 to 2 minutes).
- Stir in onion paste and ginger.
- Cook, stirring often, until caramelized, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, scraping bottom of pot if needed.
- Stir in remaining 3 cups of broth, salt and chili pepper flakes.
- Add squash, and cover partially.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer gently until squash is tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve over brown rice and garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.
- To thicken curry a bit, mash up some of the squash.
Just not thick enough. It was like soup to be exact. The bite was a little too much, and that was cutting the ginger down in half.