Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I was trying to find a way to have curry and clean out my refridgerator at the same time. This is what I came up with. I froze half of this after a dinner party of 4 people along with another side dish and some pita bread. I'm also writing this down so that I don't forget it. If you want this spicy, substitute the curry powder for 1 tsp green curry paste. Can and package sizes are estimates.
- 1⁄2 butternut squash, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1⁄2 eggplant, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup purple cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup broccoli floret, chopped
- 2 (11 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup firm tofu, cut into small chunks
- 1 (6 ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (optional)
- 1 (14 ounce) package rice noodles
- Place butternut squash, eggplant and water in large skillet or wok and cook on medium-high heat until tender. You may have to add more water as it cooks down.
- Cook rice noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 25 minutes.
- If the sauce is too thin, then mix the cornstarch with a tablespoon of sauce until dissolved and stir back into the skillet. Cook 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve over rice noodles.
Finally a vegetable dish that is new and different! I didn't use coconut milk since I am not a big fan. I used reglar milk, and put in a teaspoon of vanilla extract. And I used whole wheat spaghetti pasta. And I did add some red pepper flakes for spice. Thanks for this recipe!
In the true spirit of fridge-cleaning, I did substitute some of the veggies in this: I missed out the cabbage, broccoli, carrots and water chestnuts, and added sweet potato, and also stirred in some spinach at the last minute. I also spiced it up a bit with a few chilli's. Very tasty!