This is like the traditional sweet potato dish with marshmallows. I can only find frozen "winter squash" in my area and it works great.
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen butternut squash, thawed and drained slightly
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 cup miniature marshmallow
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish and set aside.
- Combine squash, white sugar, milk, cinnamon, vanilla, salt, nutmeg and eggs in a large bowl and stir well.
- Spoon into baking dish and top with marshmallows.
- Combine brown sugar, flour and butter in a small bowl and mix until crumbly.
- Sprinkle topping over marshmallows.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until filling is bubbly and marshmallows are lightly browned.
Fantastic! Great blend of spices and a great way to use up my huge stock of butternut squash. Made for 123 tag.
I've been "eying" this recipe for awhile! I baked a butternut squash and used 1 1/4 of a large one (about 3-4 cups of squash). I pureed the mixture in the food proc. I used 1/4 of dark brown sugar (since it is stronger flav.). I really liked that it didn't call for a lot of butter (unlike most!). This was delicious and my husband (doesn't like squash or s. potatoes) had TWO helpings and said he liked it a lot! Thanks Flower, for another great recipe. Roxygirl
OUTSTANDING recipe! Made this to serve to my vegetarian son & his wife & they were very pleased with it, as was I! The topping OVER the marshmallows made it special, I thought, & I did add some chopped walnuts to that topping! Thanks for posting this recipe!