Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Love couscous? Then this one may be for you. A fluffy bed of semolina topped with a rich wintery stew of squash ahd tomatoes. What's not to like? Described as a side dish, this would be a great meatless meal. Recently snagged this one from the Internet and posting here for safekeeping.
- 59.14 ml sliced almonds
- 22.18 ml olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 0.59 ml grated nutmeg
- 0.59 ml cinnamon
- 236.59 ml canned diced tomatoes with juice (from one 15-ounce can)
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch dice (about 2 pounds)
- 59.14 ml raisins
- 709.77 ml vegetable broth or 709.77 ml chicken broth or 709.77 ml homemade stock
- 4.92 ml salt
- 411.06 g can canned chick-peas, drained and rinsed
- 177.44 ml chopped fresh parsley, curly or flat leaf
- 354.88-709.77 ml water
- 354.88 ml couscous
- 1.23 ml salt
- FOR ALMONDS:.
- In a small frying pan toast the almonds over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Alternately, you may toast them in a 350 F oven for 5 to 10 minutes.
- FOR SQUASH:.
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cayenne, nutmeg, and cinnamon and cook, stirring, 1 minute longer until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomatoes, squash, raisins, broth, and 1 teaspoon of the salt and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the chickpeas and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer until the squash is tender, about 10 minutes more. Stir in the parsley.
- FOR COUSCOUS:.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the water and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil. Follow the directions on your package for the correct amount of water. (Mine is 2 parts water to 1 part couscous, but this varies) Stir in the couscous. Cover, remove from the heat, and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Serve the stew over the couscous and top with the toasted almonds.
This is an amazing recipe. I had everything in the pantry for this and needed something for my lunches for work. This fit the bill. The cayenne pepper adds just the right amount of kick. The raisins add just the right amount of sweetness. This is a keeper.
Yum, this recipe was so delicious! It was fairly easy with relatively inexpensive ingredients. This is definitely a keeper!
I have made this many times and it is fantastic. Thank you for this recipe!