1/3 Photos of Butternut Squash & Couscous
Love couscous? Then this one may be for you. A fluffy bed of semolina topped with a rich wintery stew of squash ahd tomatoes. What's not to like? Described as a side dish, this would be a great meatless meal. Recently snagged this one from the Internet and posting here for safekeeping.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes with juice (from one 15-ounce can)
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch dice (about 2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 cups vegetable broth or 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups homemade stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can canned chick-peas, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, curly or flat leaf
- 1FOR ALMONDS:.
- 2In a small frying pan toast the almonds over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Alternately, you may toast them in a 350 F oven for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 3FOR SQUASH:.
- 4In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 5Add the garlic, cayenne, nutmeg, and cinnamon and cook, stirring, 1 minute longer until fragrant.
- 6Stir in the tomatoes, squash, raisins, broth, and 1 teaspoon of the salt and bring to a simmer.
- 7Stir in the chickpeas and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
- 8Uncover and simmer until the squash is tender, about 10 minutes more. Stir in the parsley.
- 9FOR COUSCOUS:.
- 10Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the water and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil. Follow the directions on your package for the correct amount of water. (Mine is 2 parts water to 1 part couscous, but this varies) Stir in the couscous. Cover, remove from the heat, and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- 11Serve the stew over the couscous and top with the toasted almonds.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash & Couscous
Serving Size: 1 (466 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 512.2
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 874.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.0 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 15.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: