1/3 Photos of Butternut Squash Coconut Curry
Kozmic Blues's Note:
This was inspired from the lovely little butternut squashes at the Farmer's Market last week. I used my recipe: Sweet Potato Curry With Spinach and Chickpeas as a base, switched the sweet potatoes for butternut squash, and added a can of coconut milk, and came up with this! I did take the time to toast and grind whole cumin and corriander, but feel free to use the already-ground versions of these spices as well. Also, roasting your butternut squash with some salt pepper and curry powder brings a wonderfully deep and carmelized flavor to your curry
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4.92-9.85 ml canola oil
- 29.58 ml curry powder
- 14.79 ml cumin
- 14.79 ml coriander
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 283.49 g frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cubed
- curry powder, salt and pepper for sprinkling over squash
- 411.06 g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes
- 411.06 g can light coconut milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 59.14 ml cilantro, chopped for garnish
- basmati rice or brown rice, for serving
- 1Place cubed butternut squash on a foil lined baking sheet, sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2Sprinkle generously with curry powder, salt and pepper, and roast at 350 for 35-45 minutes, or until tender. You still want them to hold their shape when added to the curry, and not be mush :>.
- 3While squash cooks, heat 1-2 tsp of canola oil over medium heat.
- 4Add onions and a little bit of salt, and sauté 2-3 minutes, or until they begin to soften.
- 5Next, add the curry powder, cumin, corriander and cinnamon, and stir to coat the onions evenly with spices.
- 6Add tomatoes with their juices, and the chickpeas, stir to combine.
- 7Next, add the spinach, stirring to coat with cooking liquid.
- 8When all the spinach is added to the pan, cover and simmer until just wilted, about 3 minutes.
- 9Add coconut milk and gently stir to combine.
- 10Finally, add the roasted butternut squash to the liquid, and stir to coat.
- 11Top with fresh chopped cilantro (optional) and serve over basmati rice (I like brown basmati).
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash Coconut Curry
Serving Size: 1 (516 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.9
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 262.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.7 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 9.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
light coconut milk