1/2 Photos of Butternut Squash Chowder
2 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 5 mins
This is an easy to prepare thick and rich squash soup that can be shared with family and friends on chilly evenings or just about any time of year. If you like squash soup, you will love this thick and hearty version. This recipe is from Williams & Sonoma with direction to use their 32 oz. jar of Butternut Squash Puree. But you can make your own squash puree for this recipe or use frozen squash puree. Puree directions below. The prep time below includes the time for making the puree. Enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage leaf, chopped
- fresh sage leaf (to garnish)
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 32 ounces butternut squash puree
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the bacon, stirring frequently, until crispy, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- 2Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the pan and return the pan to medium heat. Add the onion, celery, bay leaf, chopped sage, the 4 teaspoons salt and the 1 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, just until the vegetables are soft, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- 3Stir in the potatoes, cover and cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes.
- 4Add the wine and simmer, stirring to scrape up the browned bits, for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the broth and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and gently simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes.
- 5Add the butternut squash puree and bacon and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the cream and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- 6Ladle the chowder into warmed bowls and garnish with sage leaves. Serve immediately.
- 7Making Squash Puree:.
- 82 butternut squash (about 3 3/4 pounds).
- 9Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 10Cut each squash in half and discard the seeds. Bursh cut sides with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Arrange the squash cut side down on a rack placed in a baking tray and bake until tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 11Cool, scoop out the insides of the squash, and puree the flesh in a food processor. You should have about 4 cups or 32 ounces of pureed squash. Tip: You can freeze your squash puree to have on hand for other soups and recipes.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 236.6
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 30.8 mg
- Sodium 1660.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves