Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A quick, easy and spicy vegetable chowder. Add a green salad and Carrot Bread ? from Mimi's Cafe for a delightfull meal.
- 2 (14 ounce) packages frozen butternut squash, thawed
- 3 cups milk
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives or 2 tablespoons green onions
- In a small bowl,combine cornstarch and milk until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, combine squash and milk mixture and cook on low heat until soup thickens.
- Add corn, peas, bullion, cayenne and butter.
- Cook on medium heat until soup simmers, then reduce to low and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in chives and serve.
This was very rich and creamy - you'd swear these had to be cream and melted cheese in this (yet there is neither). This was very simple to prepare, and produced excellent results. The taste is creamy and rich - kind of like a cream of potato & corn taste,actually, but with the lovely orange color from the squash (see photo, once it shows up). Rather than using the frozen squash, I used a fresh butternut squash that I cooked first and mashed without any seasonings. It was about 3 cups mashed squash. Next time,I will leave out the peas,even though I enjoy peas, they jusn't didn't feel necessary in this. The cayenne gave it a nice flavor and I didn't find it very spicy - you could certainly use a bit less if you wanted to.
Really yummy! Super simple to make, comforting and filling. I used fresh pre-cut butternut squash and steamed before adding the other ingredients and it was still a quick meal. I forgot to add the butter and didn't miss it, but I'll try adding some to the leftovers. Thanks for sharing the recipe.