Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 cups butternut squash, cooked
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons coconut, flaked
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- Cut in half lengthwise butternut squash; clean out bowl.
- Wrap in foil; bake in 350 degrees oven until soft. Cool; scoop out squash with teaspoon to measure 2 cups.
- Combine all ingredients, mixing well.
- Pour in a lightly greased 1 quart casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until set.
I followed the advice of other reviewers and reduced the sugar to 1/2 cup and it was plenty sweet. I also substituted coconut oil for the butter and dropped the coconut flavoring altogether. Although it turned out a little more "oily" than I would have preferred, mixed together, it tasted great. Next time, I might reduce the coconut oil to 1/2 a cup and see if that makes a difference.
Our family just loved this recipe! It was really tasty and we did cut back on the sugar and butter but everyone raved about it!
I never thought of using coconut with butternut squash. This is a wonderful and tasty dish!