Recipe by KristiMac
A purree of butternut squash & carrots with onion, garlic, fresh ginger and seasoned with Chinese 5 spice.
Top Review by CannB1
I had some carrots too old to be used in a salad and found butternut squash I forgot I had tossed into the freezer. Time for soup! I was intrigued by the Chinese 5 spice used in this recipe so decided to try it. This is delicious!!! My family nearly licked the pot clean. I have added it to the family cookbook. Thank you so much. (I used 3 cups chicken stock, 3 cups vegetable stock, and the remainder of a bottle of riesling. If you don't have an immersion blender, this is why you should invest in one. Much easier than using a food processor.)
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled & cut in chunks
- 6 large carrots, peeled & cut in chunks
- 1 onion, diced
- 1⁄4 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled & grated
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled & sliced
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder (or to taste)
- 5 -7 cups chicken stock or 5 -7 cups water
- salt & pepper
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray stockpot with cooking spray & sweat onion over medium heat.
- Add carrots & cook about 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic,ginger and squash, stir.
- Add enough stock or water to cover, season w/ salt & pepper.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat & simmer about 20-25 minutes.
- When squash & carrots are soft, remove from heat.
- Puree batches in blender until smooth.
- Put back in stockpot & add chinese 5 spice.
- Adjust seasoning.