My friend Debbie shared this recipe with me years ago. When my husband first tried her bread, he had said to me "Why can't you make squash taste like this." This has become a keeper at our house.
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water; let stand 5 minutes.
- Add squash, milk, eggs, butter, sugar and salt; mix well.
- Gradually add 3 ½ cups flour; beat until smooth.
- Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes (5 mins in the mixer).
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down.
- Shape into three loaves; place in greased 8 x 4 x 2 inch loaf pans.
- Cover and let rise until doubled about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until tops are golden.
- Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.