1 hr 25 mins
This is a recipe I came across from Chef Jean Pierre. I just love this soup, I am sure you will too. Perfect for the holiday's! COOKS NOTE: Feel free to microwave your butternut squash if you prefer to save cooking time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced leek
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Bourbon
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 5 cups roasted chicken stock
- 3/4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2With a sharp knife, prick the squash in several places to allow steam to escape while it cooks (otherwise, it could burst).
- 3Place the squash in a baking dish lined with foil and roast for about 90 minutes, until the squash is soft when you push on it.
- 4Let cool for 30 minutes, so it's easier to handle, then peel, seed, and remove strings. Cut the roasted squash into 1/2-inch pieces, or scoop meat out with a spoon.
- 5In a heavy soup kettle, heat the olive oil and add the onions. Cook until light golden brown and add the leeks and cumin. Cook for 2 minutes and add the garlic and ginger.
- 6When the garlic is fragrant, add the maple syrup, soy sauce, bourbon, sherry, and nutmeg. Add the squash and stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook gently for 15 minutes.
- 7Using an immersion blender (or a regular blender), puree the soup until very smooth.
- 8Add the evaporated milk, salt, and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes: do not bring to a boil.
- 9Add the cornstarch mixture and serve in soup plates.
- 10If you like, garnish this soup with garlic and Parmesan cheese croûtons and a dollop of nonfat sour cream.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash & Bourbon Bisque to Die For!
Serving Size: 1 (519 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.2
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 7.2 mg
- Sodium 773.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 17.6 g
- Protein 10.7 g