Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
A great soup for a winter day! It's also a great base soup, and can be spiced sweet or hot, or a little of both!
- 4 lbs butternut squash (12 cups peeled and diced)
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 2 (15 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups skim milk
- In a large stock pot, cover squash with chicken broth, and cook until tender (about 20 minutes).
- In saute pan, melt butter, add olive oil, onion and garlic, cooking until soft.
- Add onion mixture to squash.
- Drain and rinse beans, and add to squash.
- Puree squash/bean/onion mixture in blender, taking care (hot) OR puree in the pot with a hand blender.
- Add spices, and milk, heating through.
- Serve with warm whole grain artisan bread.