Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Love, love, love this bisque. It's just scrumptious. I serve it with a dollop of sour cream in the middle. Use vegetable broth for vegetarian version.
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 5 -7 cups chicken broth or 5 -7 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Peel and seed squash and cut into cubes.
- Melt butter in large soup pot. Add carrots, onion and celery and saute until soft.
- Stir in squash and potatoes (I leave the peel on the potatoes). Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add chicken (or vegetable) stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 40 minutes.
- Add curry, ginger, nutmeg.
- Puree in batches in blender. (You can only puree 1/2 of the soup if you want a chunky hearty style soup.).
- Return to soup pot. Add more stock to thin if needed.
Would have given this zero or negative stars if I could. This is the first recipezaar recipe that I made that was TERRIBLE. The only good thing I can say that is had I not added the spices the soup could have been salvaged as it is a nice consistency for a cold winter day. The spices in this combo ruin the soup. Save yourself the time and embarrassment and skip this one -- or find another recipe and use an alternate spice combo.
Every time I eat Butternut Squash soup, I compare it to this one. This is a fantastic soup for those fall and winter months. Tastes like fall with nutmeg and the cayenne pepper adds the perfect flavor to top. I was often the taste-tester in the house, and trust me, the cayenne pepper and curry powder will turn this dish from boring to tasty, so don't skimp on the seasonings!