Recipe by FloridaNative
I found this recipe in Food & Wine magazine (Travel Edition - Sept 2012) while waiting for my daughter at the dentist's office. Sounded good to me so I typed it into my phone! Posted for ZWT8.
Top Review by Kelexa
I registered specifically to review this recipe. It was fantastic and easy to make! I only used half of the large butternut squash I had on hand do I am looking forward to making it a second time later in the week!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 3⁄4 lb butternut squash, peeled, deseeded, and cut in 1-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter.
- Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds and cook over high until mustard seeds begin to pop.
- Add rice and squash and toss with seeds to mix thoroughly.
- Add water and salt, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until squash is tender and water is completely absorbed - about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff rice before serving.