Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Can't wait for the squash to get ripe. This is a favorite!
- 2 cups diced butternut squash
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise, not low fat
- 1⁄2 cup finely minced onion
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup crushed saltine crackers
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Cover squash with water and cook until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Drain well; place in large bowl.
- Mix mayonnaise, onion, egg, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Add to squash; mix well.
- Place in greased 1 qt baking dish.
- Mix crumbs, cheese, and butter.
- Sprinkle on top.
- Bake uncovered at 350* for 35 minutes.
Good and very different. I enjoyed this recipe. I left out the sugar as I didn't want it to be too sweet and I sprayed the top with cooking oil instead of drizzling with butter. It had a lovely flavour and I enjoyed the crispy topping.
I followed this recipe exactly as posted. (Nowhere does it say to mash the squash. Keep it in chunks!) Got lots of rave reviews at Thanksgiving and I had to give the recipe to several.
Awesome - hot out of the oven!