Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
No sugar or nuts. It is very simple and savory. Try this instead of mashed potatoes.
- 1 (3 lb) butternut squash, peeled and deseeded
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup crushed buttery cracker, like Ritz
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease/spray a casserole dish; set aside.
- Cut the peeled, desseded squash into 2" pieces.
- Steam/boil the squash or about 15 minutes or until soft.
- Drain and shake off all excess water.
- Return drained squash to pot and mash with the butter, rf sour cream, onion, and parm cheese.
- Briskly stir in the beaten eggs.
- Add the salt, allspice, and pepper. Stir well.
- Pour mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle with the crushed crackers.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
Very nice, very straightforward. I separated the squash into two small casseroles and froze one before baking it, I'm going to use it as a side-dish when I have people around next week :D Thanks for a great recipe, Parsley :)
Simple and savory as described by Parsley. DH and I both enjoyed this dish and will again. This is a tasty way to prepare butternut squash. The only thing I changed was to top with french fried onions instead of crackers.