1/1 Photo of Butternut Squash Bake
1 hr 20 mins
Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
Before I knew the difference between a butternut squash and spaghetti squash, I bought the former by accident and discovered the taste was much better than spaghetti squash in this recipe. There are other spaghetti squash recipes posted but IMHO this is simpler, lighter and fresher tasting. There is less clean-up involved too. I think the original recipe was based off one I found in The New Basics cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds, peel and cut into 1-inch cubes. (Received a suggestion from a more experienced chef here on 'zaar, peeling will be easier if squash is cut into smaller chunks first.).
- 3Toss with garlic and olive oil and pour mixture into 2 quart baking dish.
- 4Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring twice. Meanwhile, chop tomatoes.
- 5Remove baking dish from oven, add salt and pepper and mash the squash up a bit with the back of a spoon. In the following order, top with tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, parmesan and scallions.
- 6Return to oven and bake, uncovered, for 30 more minutes or until hot and bubbly and cheese has melted.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash Bake
Serving Size: 1 (511 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 423.8
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 60.0 mg
- Sodium 932.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 27.3 g