Recipe by Cadillacgirl
This is really yummy and simple - not a lot of spices so the squash taste shines. From Kraft Foods. I think it tastes best with low sodium chicken broth.
- 1 butternut squash (approximately 2lb)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced (sweet is best)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups old cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup cooked bacon (made into "bits")
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350. Peel and clean squash and cut into thin slices. Place in large saucepan.
- Add enough water to cover and bring to a boil on high heat. simmer on med-low 8-10 min until tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in another skillet and add onion. Cook and stir for 5 min until tender, then stir in flour and pepper - cook and stir 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in broth and cook and stir 2-3 min until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of cheese.
- Drain squash and arrange half in 8 or 9 inch square baking dish. cover with half sauce then repeat layers.
- Top with bacon and remaining cheese then bake for 30-35 min until squash mixture is heated through.