Recipe by HisPixie
This recipe was in the Pittsburgh PostGazette on November 8, 2009. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds like a great Autumn recipe. Can be made as muffins or loaf and spread with cream cheese or preserves.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup dried cranberries
- 16 ounces butternut squash, thawed (1 package frozen)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄3 cup apple juice (may use skim milk)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x5x3 loaf pan.
- Combine the flour, sugar, spices, baking powder, nuts and cranberries in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the thawed squash, eggs, applesauce and apple juice (or milk) in another large bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Fold in until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake in the center of the oven for 1-1/4 hours until baked through (a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean). If baked as muffins, cooking time will be approximately 30 minutes.