Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Cooking Light. Per 3/4 c. serving: 151 calories, 4.2 g fat, 2.5 g protein, 28.6 g carb, 4.6 g fiber, 4 mg cholesterol.
- 5 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced leeks
- 2 cups cubed peeled braeburn apples (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider or 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 2 slices white bread
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Steam squash, covered, 9 minutes or until tender (I use my Black & Decker vegetable steamer).
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add in leek; stir/sauté for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a large bowl, mix together the squash, leek, apple, sugar, salt, nutmeg, and pepper; toss gently to coat.
- Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 2-quart casserole; pour cider over squash mixture.
- Cover and bake in a 400°F oven for 20 minutes.
- Put bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs form to measure 1 cup.
- Mix together bread crumbs, pine nuts, and butter; sprinkle over gratin; bake, uncovered for 15 more minutes or until golden brown.