Recipe by LUv 2 BaKE
A nice thick soup in which the many flavours blend together as a result of pureeing. Perfect for a crisp fall, or cold winter day.
Top Review by Claudia Dawn
I really liked this soup! It was thick and flavorful. DH thought the cinnamon overwelmed it, so next time I'll cut back on that. I didn't have navy beans, so I used cannellini beans. Next time I'll add 2 cans of beans as I thought it needed more.
- 4.92 ml oil
- 236.59 ml onion, finely chopped
- 3.69 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 709.77 ml butternut squash, peeled &, cubed (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 0.59 ml ground pepper
- 297.66 g vegetable broth or 297.66 g chicken broth
- 411.06 g can Mexican-style tomatoes
- 411.06 g can whole tomatoes, chopped
- 538.64 g can navy beans, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil over medium heat; add onion, cinnamon, cumin and garlic, saute for 5 minutes.
- Add rest of ingredients except the beans, bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium, simmer 30 minutes stirring occasionally, until squash is tender.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly, uncovered about 5 minutes.
- In a blender, blend until smooth.
- Return pureed soup to the soup pot and stir in the beans.
- Cook on medium heat about 5-10 minutes, or until heated.
- 1 serving = 1 1/2 cup.