Recipe by LUv 2 BaKE
A nice thick soup in which the many flavours blend together as a result of pureeing. Perfect for a crisp fall, or cold winter day.
Top Review by Claudia Dawn
I really liked this soup! It was thick and flavorful. DH thought the cinnamon overwelmed it, so next time I'll cut back on that. I didn't have navy beans, so I used cannellini beans. Next time I'll add 2 cans of beans as I thought it needed more.
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled &, cubed (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 10 1⁄2 ounces vegetable broth or 10 1⁄2 ounces chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (19 ounce) can navy beans, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil over medium heat; add onion, cinnamon, cumin and garlic, saute for 5 minutes.
- Add rest of ingredients except the beans, bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium, simmer 30 minutes stirring occasionally, until squash is tender.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly, uncovered about 5 minutes.
- In a blender, blend until smooth.
- Return pureed soup to the soup pot and stir in the beans.
- Cook on medium heat about 5-10 minutes, or until heated.
- 1 serving = 1 1/2 cup.