Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Giada DeLaurentiis. Don't let the vanilla scare you!
- 946.36 ml chicken broth
- 4.92 ml vanilla or 1 vanilla bean
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 29.58 ml butter, plus 1 tbsp
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 354.88 ml arborio rice
- 118.29 ml white wine
- 118.29-236.59 ml shredded parmesan cheese, to taste
- 2.46 ml salt
- In a large pot:.
- Simmer broth and vanilla.
- Add squash and simmer until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Remove squash and cover to keep warm, keep broth on low heat.
- In a separate pan:.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter and add onions. Cook onions until transparent, do not caramelize.
- Add rice and toast for about 3 minutes, making sure to coat with butter/onions.
- When rice is toasted, add white wine and stir until almost evaporated.
- Add 1/2 cup of broth, stir until absorbed.
- Repeat last step until all the broth is gone and the rice is creamy (will take about 20 minutes).
- When rice is creamy, stir in squash, parmesan cheese, and last tablespoon of butter.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Delicious! Takes a bit of time, but all risotto does. It is perfect paired with roasted chicken.
Unique but delicious blend of flavors and absolutely perfect for fall with squash and warm, creamy, filling risotto. The vanilla is just perfect with just a hint of flavor.