Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
A good winter recipe. From my local newspaper, "The Daily Press" (Hampton Roads, Virginia)
- 1 -2 medium butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (14 ounce) cansdiced canned tomatoes (plain or with basil, oregano)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 400 degrees.
- Using a sharp knife, trim off and discard the ends of the squash, then slice it in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the seeds and discard them.
- Place the squash halves, cut side up, in a microwave oven, cover them with waxed paper and cook on high until soft, yet still firm enough to cut into cubes, about 8 minutes.
- Place the squash on a large cutting board and let cool until you can handle it, then peel and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Place the squash in a 13 X 9 inch dish, drizzle the olive oil on it, then scatter the tomatoes, followed by the cheese evenly on top.
- Bake until the cheese melts and squash and tomatoes are heated through, about 20 to 25 minutes.