1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Terrific fall recipe. We loved this as a healthy vegetarian meal....lots of vitamins. It would be perfect on Thanksgiving--to take the place of the marshmallow and canned sweet potatoes usual side dish. I used my food processor to chop everything---doing it by hand would take longer than I've indicated here!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs butternut squash, peeled
- 1 1/4 lbs idaho potatoes, peeled (I used sweet potatoes)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream (I used fat free half and half...but on a special occasion would use the cream!)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumb, combined with
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1Heat oven to 350°F.
- 2Grease an 8x8 inch (2 quart) glass or ceramic baking dish.
- 3Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds and fibers.
- 4Slice the squash and potatoes about 1/8 inch thick (use a mandoline if you have one).
- 5Line the bottom of the baking dish with a layer of squash (overlapping slightly), season lightly with salt and pepper, sprinkle with a little of the Parmesan, and drizzle with a little of the cream.
- 6Cover with a layer of potato slices, season with salt, pepper, cheese, and cream.
- 7Repeat with the remaining squash and potatoes until the dish is full, ending with a top layer of squash, seasoned and topped with any remaining cheese and cream. (You may have extra squash, and extra potatoes if you used sweet potatoes!).
- 8Press down lightly to distribute the cream and compact the layers.
- 9The last layer of squash should be just sitting in the cream, but not covered by it.
- 10Cover the dish with foil and bake until the vegetables feel tender when poked with a thin, sharp knife (check the middle layer), about 1 hour, 10 minutes.
- 11Combine the walnuts and buttered bread crumbs.
- 12Remove the gratin from the oven, sprinkle with the breadcrumb-nut mixture, and bake until the top is lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes.
- 13Let sit in a warm place for 20 minutes before serving so that liquids will set and tighten the gratin.
- 14Cut into 9 squares and serve.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash and (Sweet) Potato Gratin With Walnut Crust
Serving Size: 1 (209 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 288.4
- Calories from Fat 162
- Total Fat 18.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 45.9 mg
- Sodium 131.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 5.9 g