1 hr 15 mins
This soup is a family favorite that is a variation on a soup I had at a church potluck. We'd had a bunch of butternut and acorn squash plus some mystery hybrid squash come up in our compost pile and soup seemed the perfect way to use them up. You can use any combination of winter squash in this. I usually cut the squash in half and microwave it cut side down in some water for about 2 minutes on high to make it easier to peel and cube. Cooking time includes time to broil the peppers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and halved lengthwise
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 2 granny smith apples, cored, peeled, and chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1Preheat the oven broiler.
- 2Line a small roasting pan or baking sheet with foil. Place pepper halves in pan, cut side down, and place on oven shelf closest to broiler.
- 3Broil until pepper skins are completely black, about 8 minutes.
- 4Remove from oven, wrap peppers in foil, and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- 5Remove foil and peel off the blackened skins. Slice peppers into 1/2-inch strips and set aside.
- 6Combine squash, onion, apples and broth in heavy 4-qt saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- 7Partially cover saucepan, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
- 8Add the pepper slices and cook for 5 minutes longer.
- 9Transfer soup to food processor or blender and process until smooth. Return to saucepan, add seasonings and reheat before serving.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Serving Size: 1 (489 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.3
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 16.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 18.8 g
- Protein 4.5 g