Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From the Italian Slow Cooker by Michele Scicolone. It's wonderful to be able to use the slow cooker to make side dishes, especially on those occasions when the oven is engaged by the main event. You cannot go wrong with butternut squash, potatoes and rosemary. While this appears in an Italian cookbook, the ingredients are very familiar to North Americans, as well.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch wedges. about 4 cups
- 1 1⁄2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch wedges, about 4 cups
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (I use more)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 inches rosemary sprigs
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Put all the ingredients except the water into the slow cooker and toss to combine.
- Add the water and cook on HIGH until the vegetables are tender, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
This made a great side dish for a winter meal. I served it with pulled pork sandwiches, and it went over well. It was a little bland, however. Next time I would decrease the potatoes and increase the squash. Also, add a little more olive oil and garlic.
So easy! I used purple splendor potatoes which looked so pretty with the yellow squash. My slow cooker is quite speedy - I should have checked it earlier because everything was quite done at two hours. In general I would prefer the texture if this same recipe were made with roasted veggies (without the water), but this is convenient if you will be out of the house for a couple hours.