Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml finely chopped onion
- 14.79 ml curry powder
- 453.59 g butternut squash, cut into 1-inch pieces (about half a medium squash)
- 2 ripe medium bartlett pears, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 828.06 ml fat-free low-sodium chicken broth or 828.06 ml vegetable broth
- Heat oil on medium heat in Dutch oven or soup pot.
- Gently sauté onions until softened—about 5 minutes.
- Add curry powder and stir, sautéing for 1 minute.
- Add butternut squash and pear pieces.
- Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes until squash and pear are tender.
- Transfer soup to a food processor or blender and purée until smooth, working in two batches if necessary.
This is excellent! I more or less doubled the recipe, using a whole butternut squash. I had a ton of pears to use up, which is sort of how I found this one to begin with. I used my lemon curry powder, which is a bit lighter in flavor. Perfect. Used vegetable buillion, making this vegan. Double bonus! Made about 8 cups (8 servings for me). Froze most. Thanks! Great recipe.