Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 5 mins
Cooking Light Magazine, October 2004. Haven't tried this as yet - it seems very interesting! Can't wait!
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (1/2-inch cubes)
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups low-fat milk (1 percent)
- 1 cup grated fresh parmigiano-reggiano cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 9 cups cubed day-old French bread (1-inch)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Arrange squash in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Bake at 400°F for 12 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from oven; reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, milk, 1/2 cup cheese, pepper, nutmeg, eggs, and egg whites in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Stir in squash and onion mixture.
- Add bread, and stir gently to combine.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Spoon into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until pudding is set and lightly browned.