Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I don't know where I got this recipe but it's on a 3x5 card in my file if that gives you a hint. My family has enjoyed this at Thanksgiving and all through the winter months for years. It is REALLY BAD FOR YOU. Probably why it tastes so good.
- 4 -5 lbs butternut squash, usually 2-3 large, peeled and seeded
- 4 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, chopped and well drained
- 1 onion, halved and thin shaved on a mandoline
- 1 leek, sliced thin (white and light green only)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic clove (about 4 cloves)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, halved
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup parmesan cheese or 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Thaw, drain and press the spinach until very dry. Set aside in colander or on paper towels.
- Peel and seed the squash, cut lengthwise into pieces about 2-3 inches wide.
- Adjust your mandoline to about 1/4 in thick and slice all pieces (about the size of very thick potato chips).
- In a heavy skillet, melt half the butter on low heat and sauté the onion, leek and garlic until they are tender and translucent. Mix well with the spinach.
- Season spinach mix with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Use as much of the remaining butter as you like to grease a 13x9-inch Pyrex casserole.
- Layer the bottom of the casserole tightly with squash. Then put a layer of the spinach mixture over that. Sprinkle parmesan over each layer of spinach.
- Continue layering squash and spinach mixture until you have 5 layers of squash and 4 layers of spinach.
- Pour cream over entire mixture until it nearly reaches the top layer of squash.
- Sprinkle a heavy layer of parmesan over the entire casserole.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40-45 minutes or until squash is tender. The cream will be boiling.
- Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes or until parmesan starts to crust.
- Remove and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- DIG IN!
I thought this was the best recipe i've tried using Butternut squash, and my most favorite, spinach!! My family seems to never get enough! Thank you so much for sharing! =D
This recipe is delicious. Everyone always wants the recipe.