Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Creamy and velvety, this is a real autumnal soup. The coconut cream goes really well with the earthy squash and spices. Serve with lots of crusty bread.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 5 cm fresh gingerroot, grated
- 900 g butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 850 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, roasted and ground
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed, roasted and ground
- 85 g creamed coconut, crumbled
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons fresh coriander (to garnish)
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based pan. Add the garlic, ginger, shallots and cook until the shallots soften slightly.
- Add the squash and the stock, bring to the boil and simmer until squash is soft.
- Add the spices and coconut, stirring until the coconut melts.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Return to the pan and heat through. Before serving garnish with coriander.