Vegetarian Times. April 2008.
Make and share this Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew With Couscous recipe from Food.com.
- Heat oil in saucepan. Saute' carrots,onion and red bell pepper until softened. Stir in cumin seeds and bay leaf.
- Puree 3/4 cup of chickpeas and 3/4 cup butternut squash soup in blender until smooth.
- Add to carrot/onion/pepper mixture. Add the remainder chickpeas and soup. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, place couscous in heat-proof bowl and stir in 1 1/2 cups boiling water.
- Cover, and let stand 3 to 5 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Fluff with fork.
- Divide couscous among 6 bowls . Ladle chickpea stew around couscous in each bowl.
I made this stew for DH and I for lunch today. It was nice. It was easy to prepare and was very mild flavored. Based on other reviews, I used Pacific brand butternut squash soup as I know I like it and left the bay leaf whole. I used green pepper because I had it on hand and Israeli couscous. Next time I would follow the package directions for making the couscous as mine was a little chewy. Thanks for a nice lunch.
I was very excited to try this recipe, but I have to say I don't like the taste of it at all. I didn't even bother making the couscous since the flavor of the stew is not pleasant and don't think I want to eat this for dinner. I think the Trader Joe's squash soup is to blame here! Once I tried a bit of that on its own, I could tell that was what tasted funky to me. Maybe a different brand would work better?
A friend gave us an unopened container of butternut squash soup from Trader Joe's. They had bought 2 and had not liked it. When I found this recipe I knew it was a perfect use for it. I used green pepper (and would use less next time, closer to 1/2 a pepper) and powdered cumin. I also did not crumble the bay leaf like Melissa suggested so I could remove it. We used Israeli couscous, which is bigger than traditional couscous. I cooked the entire box and used the box directions. Then I served the stew over the couscous. This tastes different than it smells; It smelled very spiced, but was mildly sweet and mellow. Thanks.