Chef #198607's Note:
(from The New American Plate Cookbook)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- canola oil cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium green pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/2 cup pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup cubed cooked turkey breast (1/2 pound) or 1 cup leftover turkey breast (1/2 pound)
- 2 medium butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds halved lengthwise 2 medium butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds peeled 2 medium b)
- 1/2 cup crumbed feta cheese
- 1Coat a 4-quart baking dish with canola oil spray.
- 2In a large saucepan, hear the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and onion. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add the barley, sage, and black pepper and stir to combined well. Add the broth and bring to boil. Reduced the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes. Add the turkey and squash and continue to simmer for 15 minutes more or until all the broth is absorbed and the squash is tender. If the mixture seems too dry, add an additional 1/4 cup of broth or water.
- 3Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 4Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and top with cheese. Bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, until the cheese is golden.
- 5Make 4 servings.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash and Barley Casserole With Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (657 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 425.0
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 16.6 mg
- Sodium 235.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.0 g
- Sugars 14.7 g
- Protein 11.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
cooked turkey breast