Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
(from The New American Plate Cookbook)
Make and share this Butternut Squash and Barley Casserole With Turkey recipe from Food.com.
- canola oil cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium green pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1⁄2 medium onion
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup cubed cooked turkey breast (1/2 pound) or 1 cup leftover turkey breast (1/2 pound)
- 2 medium butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds halved lengthwise 2 medium butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds peeled 2 medium b)
- 1⁄2 cup crumbed feta cheese
- Coat a 4-quart baking dish with canola oil spray.
- In a large saucepan, hear the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and onion. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add the barley, sage, and black pepper and stir to combined well. Add the broth and bring to boil. Reduced the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes. Add the turkey and squash and continue to simmer for 15 minutes more or until all the broth is absorbed and the squash is tender. If the mixture seems too dry, add an additional 1/4 cup of broth or water.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and top with cheese. Bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, until the cheese is golden.
- Make 4 servings.